Obtaining a university degree is more than the accumulation of credits, and teaching in higher education is more than the transfer of knowledge. The experience should be transformative, for students, course instructors, and all those who support teaching.
The 15th Annual UBC Okanagan Learning Conference, May 6-7, 2019, explores experiential learning. We’ll discuss and think critically about
- theory and evidence of the impact of hands-on experiences and meaningful reflection
- design, assessment, and instructional strategies for experiential learning
- the student experience and the instructor experience
- and much more…
In addition to sharing their research and promising practices, every conference attendee will experience learning first hand, on field trips and hikes, in classrooms and labs, on campus and in the community, and then reflect on how those authentic experiences enlighten their teaching and their learning.
How to Participate in the Conference
There are many ways to contribute and participate:
- Attend the conference, the first held in the new UBC Okanagan Commons, and experience the features of a building designed specifically to support learning and teaching. Registration opens March 18, 2019.
- Submit a proposal for a 20-minute talk, 75-minute interactive workshop, or a conference poster. Proposals must be received by 11:59pm on Thursday, February 28, 2019.
- Tell us about the Experiential Learning Activity you would like to lead for conference attendees by 11:59pm on Thursday, February 28, 2019.
- Join the Programming Committee responsible for selecting proposals and identifying potential streams or groupings of presentations. Please contact the Programming Committee Chair, Peter Newbury, if you’re interested.
- Contribute to sub-committees responsible for
- the respectful environment statement that assures conference attendees this is a safe, welcoming, and inclusive conference
- supporting conference attendees with infants and children
- caring for the well-being of the conference attendees
- ensuring the conference is accessible and inclusive
- acknowledging the Syilx Okanagan Nation and their peoples, in whose territory the conference occurs
Please contact email@example.com if you’re interested in participating in any of these sub-committees.