Reflection For Choosing Appropriate Assessments For Your Course
- Consider the assessment and evaluation you currently use in your courses & the purposes they achieve. (eg: Why do you assign a term paper? What are the learning outcomes of that term paper? Is it time well spent(too much or too little according to the importance of its learning outcome?)
- What elements make up your grading philosophy? (Marks for participation/attendance, do they get to try an assignment or test a second time?)
- How can you involve students in the assessment process (self/peer assessment, rubric creation, choosing deadlines, creating test items, etc.)?
- Do your assessment methods reward deep learning?
- Are you conscious of workload (student and self)?
- Are criteria for marks clear? Process for determining grades clear?
- Does practice and feedback occur prior to grading?