- should encourage learning
- should provide guidelines on how work can be improved
- should be constructive and specific
- should offer two or three points as goals for the next assignment
Ideas for Ensuring Students Read and Take Notice of Feedback
- Provide qualitative commentary on assignments without adding a grade or mark and ensure that students don’t get a mark until they have read and understood the feedback
- Incorporate a reward in the next assignment for positively addressing the issues (including a reflective analysis) raised by the feedback on a previous assignment (work that ignores this may receive a lower grade or mark for not taking this criterion into account).
- Develop progressively weighted coursework assignments (eg 5 per cent, 10 per cent, 15 per cent instead of 10 per cent, 10 per cent, 10 per cent or some other combination) so that there are higher rewards for improving based upon feedback given on earlier pieces of work.
- Involve students in giving feedback to others on their work.