Microsoft Teams is an all-in-one collaboration tool to create virtual meeting spaces and facilitate group work. Teams allows for chat-based communication as well as video calling and file sharing.
|Availability||UBC offers campus-wide free access to Microsoft Teams for all active UBC employees. Download the desktop application from Microsoft. Download the mobile application from the iOS App Store or Google Play Store. Log in with your UBC email address (email@example.com) and password.|
|Privacy||Microsoft Teams is FIPPA compliant and data is stored securely in Canada.|
|Similar Tools||Video conferencing: Zoom. File collaboration: Microsoft OneDrive.|
About Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is an all-in-one collaboration tool to create virtual meeting spaces and facilitate group work. In Teams, you can meet and collaborate with UBC faculty, staff, and students through web-conferencing and group chat. The platform also includes file-sharing and real-time document collaboration using Microsoft Office applications like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
A team refers to a specific group of people in Microsoft Teams who want to collaborate together exclusively. Each team gets access to a private space where members can share communications and content using Teams. To request a team at UBC (e.g., for a course), you will need to submit a form.
- Open the Teams application and sign in, if you haven’t already.
- Click Get Started in the navigation.
- From the Training Portal, click Microsoft Teams for UBC Instructors.
- Scroll down to “Create a Class Team” and select Course Team Request Form.
- Complete the form with the proper information (for courses this includes the course name, code, number, section, and term) and click Submit.
- LT Hub will check your request, and you will receive an email confirmation from them once it’s approved.
To access your Team in Microsoft Teams, students will need to set up a Microsoft account.
To get a UBC Microsoft account, students need to be registered and active UBC students, then follow the opt-in process below. This is a one time process.
- Students first create a new UBC email address that uses their UBC CWL (i.e., CWL@student.ubc.ca, where “CWL” is replaced with your CWL). This will serve as their UBC Microsoft account.
- Students sign in to the UBC CWL myAccount page.
- If there are privacy concerns about sharing their CWL with others, they may anonymize their CWL first by clicking Rename CWL in the navigation and following the steps there.
- Click Activate Student Email in the navigation.
- After reading the terms and conditions, click Accept.
- It may take up to 48 hours before the account becomes active. Once the account is active, they can access Microsoft Teams (as well as Microsoft OneDrive) with this new email address and their CWL password.
CTL Support Documentation
- MS Teams: Getting started with Microsoft Teams
- MS Teams: What is MS Teams and Office 365?
- MS Teams: Browser vs Desktop Application
- MS Teams: Conversations in Chats and Channels
- MS Teams: Sharing Office 365 files
- MS Teams: Calendar
- MS Teams: Calls and Video Meetings in Microsoft Teams
- MS Teams: Comparison of Microsoft Teams Meetings, Collaborate Ultra and Zoom