As Will Rogers once said, “you never get a second chance to make a first impression.” What you do in your first class establishes the learning environment for the rest of your course, so it’s critical to think and plan carefully.
The goals of the first class are to:
- motivate learning – why should your students engage and invest their time and energy?
- personalize the experience – how can each student find your course meaningful?
- establish expectations – how will your course run and what will happen in class?
That’s a lot to accomplish in 50 or 80 minutes. The Centre for Teaching and Learning is holding a “First Day of Class” workshop (twice) to help you decide what to do in your first class:
- Thursday, August 30, 2:00 – 3:00 pm, EME 3113 (registration closed)
- Friday, August 31, 10:00 – 11:00 am, SCI 331 (registration closed)
Please register so we can contact you with pre-workshop resources.