Canvas is UBC’s primary learning platform for delivering online course content. Share materials, enable student collaboration and discussion, manage assignments and quizzes, and assign grades.
The Centre for Teaching and Learning supports instructors with Canvas. Student support is available through the Peer Technology Assistants at the Student Learning Hub or through the UBC Student’s Guide to Canvas site.
Canvas Instructor Use Support
Contact the CTL Helpdesk for support or see our support documentation (links below).
Access to Canvas
- Instructors and TAs are added through Enrollment Services for SIS-managed (for credit) courses. Your Faculty Administrative Assistant can help you with these access requests.
- For user access to non-credit course shells, contact email@example.com.
Course sections, merging, linking and cross-listing
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for:
- Course merging – combining multiple lecture sections of a course into one Canvas shell
- For example, combine Math 100 001 and Math 100 002 into one Canvas shell called Math 100 001 002.
- Section (lab/tutorial/seminar/practicum) linking
- Allows you to sort students by lab section for assignment or grading purposes.
- Cross-listing courses – two different courses combined into one Canvas shell
- For example, COSC 335 and PHYS 336 combined into one Canvas shell called COSC 335 PHYS 336
CTL Support Documentation
- VIDEO: Canvas Publishing
- Canvas: Ready Your Course for Start of Term
- Canvas: Changing Course Start and End Dates
- Canvas: Copy a Canvas Course
- Canvas: Student Access Reports
- Canvas: Using the Canvas Calendar to Communicate Online Quiz Start Time
- Canvas: Creating a Calendar Due Date with a “Not Graded” Assignment
- VIDEO: Canvas Gradebook
- VIDEO: Canvas Speedgrader
- Canvas: How to Weight Course Grades Using Assignment Groups
- Canvas: Icons in the Gradebook
- Canvas: Assigning Extra Credit
- Canvas: Exporting and Importing the Gradebook
- Canvas: Grade Individual Assignments/Quizzes by Student Group
- Canvas: How to set Grade Policy to Hide Grades
- VIDEO: Canvas Groups – Creating Groups
- VIDEO: Canvas Groups – Group Assignments
- VIDEO: Canvas Manage People and Groups
- Canvas: Creating Groups
- Canvas: Create a Group Discussion
- VIDEO: Canvas Quiz Settings
- VIDEO: Canvas Quiz Questions
- Canvas: Creating a Quiz with Classic Quizzes
- Canvas: Classic Quiz Question Types
- Canvas: Creating Question Groups
- Canvas: Using a File Upload Question for Written Work Submission
- Canvas: How to Use a Text Only Question in a Quiz
- Canvas: Locking & Unlocking a Quiz
- Canvas: Moderate a Classic Quiz
- Canvas: Student View of Quiz Results
- Canvas: Quiz Settings for Multiple Dates and Time Limits (e.g. DRC accommodations, out-of-time exams)
- Canvas: Viewing Classic Quiz Logs
- Canvas: Viewing Quiz Statistics
- Canvas: Regrading a Classic Quiz
- Canvas: New Quizzes vs. Classic Quizzes
- Canvas: Creating a Quiz with New Quizzes
- Canvas: New Quizzes Settings
- Canvas: New Quiz Question Types
- Canvas: New Quiz Settings for Multiple Dates and Time Limits (e.g. DRC accommodations, out-of-time exams)
- Canvas: Moderate a New Quiz
- Canvas: Student View of New Quiz Results