Faculty: School of Health and Exercise Sciences, Faculty of Health and Social Development
Faculty website: https://hes.ok.ubc.ca/about/contact/sally-stewart/
Teaching Fellow: 2023
Courses: HEAL 100, HES 200, HINT 331, directed studies
Teaching Awards: Provost Award for Teaching Excellence and Innovation, 2019; 2 Golden Apple Awards; 5 Teaching Honor Roll Awards
Teaching and Learning Activities related to Teaching Fellows
- Chair of Senate Learning and Research Committee
- Leader of two Communities of Practice on Teaching and Educational Leadership and Wellbeing in Teaching and Learning.
- Training of graduate students to be instructors by teaching modules in HEAL 100
- SoTL research: “EMPHASize” developing education modules on weight stigma/bias and eating disorders for use in health profession programs.
- SoTL research: wellbeing practices in the classroom and climate, nutrition and wellbeing
- Chair of the cross campus Educational Leadership Network
- Cross campus Teaching and Wellbeing Community of Practice action committee
Teaching Fellow opportunity provides
“The potential and responsibility to lead and make a difference on campus, for the campus community; to be a mentor; to facilitate a broader impact.”
Teaching Passions and Philosophy
“I have been teaching in some way since my teen years in sports like skiing, swimming, and fitness classes, so teaching in higher education naturally became a way to continue my passion. My goal is that my enthusiasm for teaching and mentorship, to impact student wellbeing and academic success, will have a ripple effect for building happier and healthier communities.”
Ongoing and Future Goals
- Increase impact of EMPHASize through more modules and implementation into more health profession courses and apply for TLEF and external funding.
- Expand HEAL 100 to make it a mandatory course for all UBCO students so they are empowered with the skills and knowledge to thrive and be well in an academic environment and beyond.