Mid- and end-of-term exams increase demand in the use of Respondus LockDown Browser. Here is an overview of the tool and alternatives faculty can explore to support students who do not have hardware compatible with Respondus LockDown Browser.
What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a web browser tool used during computer-based testing to prevent students’ ability to copy questions, visit other websites, and access applications which are not needed for the exam. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and iOS (iPad only). However, Chromebooks and other mobile devices are not compatible with Respondus LockDown Browser at UBC. If a student does not have a device that meets the minimum technical requirements, an alternative method will need to be used.
How to ensure that students have compatible devices?
Faculty can list as a pre-requisite to their syllabus a computer with the minimum technical requirements to support Respondus LockDown Browser. The minimum technical requirements are listed on the support site.
What are possible solutions if students do not have compatible hardware?
If this pre-requisite has not been listed or met, here are some interim options faculty may suggest to the student:
- Recommend the student borrow a device from a family member or friend
- Recommend the purchase of a new device that is compatible with the software
- Direct to use an alternative UBC device such as:
- Student loaner laptop. Information on student loaner laptops can be found here: Borrowing (ubc.ca)
- Instructional computer lab. The tool is currently installed in: ART215, FIP129, FIP133, EME2205 and could be installed in other labs upon request. A list of computer labs can be found here: Computer Labs (ubc.ca) .
- DRC exam laptop. If the student is registered with the DRC, their laptops will be equipped with the tool.
- Offer alternative testing method such as a paper exam or an exam that does not required LockDown Browser
Please note that there are some limitations in the use of alternative UBC devices. Availability on instructional computer labs and student loaner laptops are not guaranteed. Additionally, students will need to tests the functionality before the exam date to ensure that the latest version of Respondus LockDown Browser is installed. If an updated version is required, please give IT advance notice to help update the installation package.