Kaltura is a video platform for instructors and students to capture, upload, edit, publish, and embed video content directly in Canvas. You can also create video quizzes with Kaltura.
|Availability||Available within Canvas through My Media, Media Gallery and the Kaltura plugin within the Rich Content Editor. Add My Media and Media Gallery to your Canvas Course menu through Settings > Navigation.|
|Canvas Integration||Works within Canvas. See “Important!” below.|
|Privacy||Kaltura is FIPPA compliant and data is stored within Canada.|
|Similar Tools||Snagit and Camtasia|
There is a known issue that “Student View” (when the instructor views the course as a test student) does not act like a regular student for content uploaded through My Media – media embedded in your course content or in Media Gallery is not visible in Student View, but is visible to real students enrolled in the course. This is a technical quirk of the Canvas student view. Consider asking a student in your class to check your Canvas site as you create and post content.
Kaltura is a video platform that enables instructors and students to create and share audio and video in Canvas. Instructors and students can access Kaltura My Media in Canvas through any Rich Content Editor with the plug button. Instructors can give students access to Kaltura by making My Media and Media Gallery available in the Course Menu.
Three Main Features
- My Media provides a collection of any media content you have uploaded to Canvas; the content in My Media is always the same, regardless of which course you are. Students and instructors all have their own My Media pages. The content uploaded to My Media is only visible to you.
- The Media Gallery is specific to each course. You can select content from My Media to publish on the course page. All students in the course will be able to see content you publish to the Media Gallery.
- KalturaCapture is a downloadable application which allows you to record video, audio, and share your screen. This application allows for quick creation of videos and is handy for creating recorded lectures.
Kaltura is especially useful because it allows you to post your media in many Canvas areas. Anywhere you see the Rich Content Editor (RCE), you can embed your media by clicking on the plug icon then select to embed Kaltura media.
Kaltura includes a basic video editor within Canvas which can be used to trim, clip or splice media.
Adding Interactive Video Quizzes (IVQ) to Kaltura media lets you embed quiz questions directly in your video. As students watch the video, the quiz questions will appear at chosen points, stopping the video. After each question is answered, the video will continue. Kaltura IVQ can also pass outcomes to the Canvas gradebook, meaning students’ answers to your video quizzes can automatically impact their grade.
Increase accessibility to your audio and video files by adding captioning. With Kaltura, you can generate automatic captions (using machine captioning) then manually fine-tune the captions afterwards.
CTL Support Documentation
- Kaltura: Overview
- Getting Started: Add My Media and Media Gallery to Your Course
- Kaltura: How to Download Kaltura Capture
- Kaltura: Screencast with Kaltura Capture
- Kaltura: Recording with your Webcam in My Media
- Kaltura: Edit Recordings in My Media
- Kaltura: Edit Slideshow Chapters in a Kaltura Capture Recording
- Kaltura: Locate Kaltura Capture Videos on your Computer
- Kaltura: Upload Video to Canvas using My Media
- VIDEO: Uploading Media into Canvas with Kaltura
- Kaltura: Sharing Video in Media Gallery
- Kaltura: Embed Videos in a Page
- Kaltura: Set Up a Video Assignment (for Instructors)
- Kaltura: Submit a Video Assignment (for Students)
- Kaltura: Download Kaltura Videos
- Kaltura: Make Videos Public
- Kaltura: Audio and Video Captioning
- Kaltura: Video Quizzes
- Kaltura: Analytics
- Kaltura 101: A Self-Paced Online Course
- VIDEOS: Kaltura Training Videos (UBC Teaching and Learning Media)
- Kaltura Capture User Guide (Kaltura Knowledge Center website)
- Kaltura MediaSpace User Guide (Kaltura Knowledge Center website)
- Kaltura Video Editing Tools – Quiz Tab (Kaltura Knowledge Center website)
- Kaltura Video Editing Tools – Editor Tab (Kaltura Knowledge Center website)
- LT Hub Kaltura Instructor Guide