UBC Okanagan Teaching Fellows Opportunity
Overview of the opportunity:
Applications for the 2023/24 Teaching Fellows is now closed
Every academic year UBC Okanagan recognizes 10 faculty members with outstanding teaching, scholarship, and educational leadership activities who contribute broadly to the teaching and learning mission on campus. The individuals recognized will have recently demonstrated or proposed activities that support teaching excellence within the UBC Okanagan teaching and learning community. A UBC Okanagan Teaching Fellow demonstrates contributions that transcend beyond their individual teaching excellence.
Teaching Fellow awards are for one year starting on July 1st. There is no limit to the number of consecutive times that an individual may receive the Teaching Fellow award. Recipients receive $2,000 to fund teaching and learning activities.
Any faculty member with a continuing tenured or tenure-track appointment or sessional lecturer holding a full-time limited-term appointment who will be teaching at UBC Okanagan during the award year is eligible to apply.
- Evidence of recent past, ongoing, and planned future contributions to teaching and learning activities on campus including UBC Okanagan priorities, CTL events and workshops, faculty, staff, and student professional development, and Faculty-level engagement in teaching activities.
- Contributions in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning with emphasis on techniques broadly deployed across campus or other institutions and beyond an individual’s own pedagogy.
- Demonstrated excellence in classroom instruction and peer mentoring that is exemplary for other instructors. Special emphasis on teaching practices that demonstrate accessibility, inclusion, Indigenous content integration, multi-modal instruction, experiential learning, and technology driven efficiencies.
- April 1 – Application package submitted to CTL
- May 1 – CTL adjudication and award decisions
The applicant submits to the CTL the following documents via e-mail or in person (ADM 103):
- Application cover letter – up to 3 pages addressing the criteria with emphasis on the impact of past activities and planned activities for the award year. The letter should also address how the applicant and associated activities contribute to UBC Okanagan teaching community and the CTL.
- CV in UBC standard format
- Teaching dossier
- A letter of support from the department head, director, or associate dean
- No other letters of support or any other documentation is required
Teaching Fellows participate in the CTL advisory group that provides direction and feedback on CTL activities, priorities, and plans. The advisory group meets four times a year. Teaching Fellows also contribute to disseminating information about CTL events and services within their Faculties and help with community engagement in teaching and learning.
The Teaching Fellow award is a recognition of individual contributions to the teaching and learning mission at UBC Okanagan. Although the award criteria emphasizes ongoing and future activities performed by the Teaching Fellow, there is no commitment to specific activities to be eligible for an award. Recognition as a Teaching Fellow reflects activities individuals perform as part of their existing appointments and passion for teaching and learning. However, as a competitive award, individuals that demonstrate exemplary contributions within their Faculty and supporting CTL activities are preferred.
Applications are reviewed by a committee chaired by the CTL Academic Director, and consisting of a CTL staff member, two faculty members, a member from the UBC Okanagan Equity & Inclusion Office, and a student representative.
The evaluation process is guided by the evaluation criteria with emphasis on learning community impact and engagement and contribution to CTL activities. The ten awards are distributed with the goal of representation from each Faculty and the selection of a diverse cohort of Teaching Fellows who champion UBC Okanagan priorities and exemplify our values.
The Centre for Teaching & Learning congratulates the following faculty members who have received the Teaching Fellows Award for 2023-2024.
|Peter Arthur (EDUC)||Natalie Forssman (FASS)|
|Myron Campbell (FCCS)||Sajni Lacey (LIBRARY)|
|Gregory Dumanoir (FHSD)||Firas Moosvi (FOS)|
|Alon Eisenstein (ENGR)||Sally Stewart (FHSD)|
|Tamara Ebl (MGMT)||Robin Young (FOS)|